- Featured speaker on F. Scott Fitzgerald at 2006 Irish
Fair, St. Thomas University, St. Paul, Minnesota, August 10, 2006.
- Foundation Board member of the F. Scott Fitzgerald
Writing Academy, St. Paul, Minnesota, August 2004-August 2006
- Put together “Fitzgerald and the Hill Family,” on
display in James J. Hill Library, St. Paul, Minnesota, September.-November
- Wrote text for Fitzgerald posters which hang in St.
Paul Central Library and Commodore Hotel, St. Paul, and for Fitzgerald in
St. Paul Walking Tour brochure, available at St. Paul Central
- Helped with application which led to the naming of F.
Scott Fitzgerald’s birthplace as a National Literary Landmark, September 24,
- Co-edited 2005 Minnesota Book Award nominee The St.
Paul Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald with Trish Hampl (St. Paul:
Minnesota Historical Society Press, 2004).
- Created and taught a course on F. Scott Fitzgerald for
the University of Minnesota’s Compleat Scholar program, Summer 2004.
- Lectured on Fitzgerald for University of Minnesota
Elderhostel Program, 1996-2002.
- Appeared with Matthew Bruccoli on Writings of F.
Scott Fitzgerald (C-Span’s American Writers Series, 2002).
- Co-chaired the local planning committee for the 2002
International F. Scott Fitzgerald Conference, St. Paul, Minnesota, September
- Served as advisor to American Master’s F. Scott
Fitzgerald: Winter Dreams (2001) and BBC Omnibus The Great
Gatsby: Midnight in Manhattan (2000).
- Organized a panel presentation at the International F.
Scott Fitzgerald and Thomas Wolfe Festival, Asheville, North Carolina,
- Featured speaker at FitzFest ’97, Huntingdon College,
- Co-authored 1997 Minnesota Book Award nominee F.
Scott Fitzgerald in Minnesota: Toward the Summit with Jack Koblas (St.
Cloud: North Star Press, 1996).
- Lectured at F. Scott Fitzgerald’s 100th
Birthday Celebration hosted by Garrison Keillor in St. Paul, September 27,
- Served as 1995 editor of F. Scott Fitzgerald Society
- Featured speaker at Joint International
Fitzgerald/Hemingway Conference held in Paris, summer 1994.
- Put together study guide for Great North American
History Theater’s production of The Beautiful Fools and The Great
- Presented a paper on “Fitzgerald in Minnesota” at 1992
International Fitzgerald Conference held at Hofstra University, New York.
- Wrote “F. Scott & Zelda in St. Paul, City Pages,
September 29, 1982, 1+.
OTHER PUBLICATIONS, APPEARANCES AND ACTIVITIES
- Current public relations contact, St. Croix Valley
Civil War Round Table, Hudson, Wisconsin.
- Book editing staff, Civil War News, 1999-2006.
- Featured on History Channel’s “This Week in History”
program on Civil War ship Star of the West, January 2001.
- Contributed to Encyclopedia of the American Civil
War: A Political, Social ,and Military History (Santa
Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO, 2000).
- Ships Versus Shore: Civil War Engagements along
Southern Shores and Rivers (Nashville: Rutledge Hill Press, 1994).
- Marianne Moore (Mankato, Minnesota: Creative
- Co-wrote Why Am I Dancing Alone? (Mound,
Minnesota: AB Publications, 1989).
- Honorable Mention Award, St. Martin’s Press, The
Year’s Best Fantasy, 1988.
- Co-edited Sinclair Lewis & Mantrap: The
Saskatchewan Trip and Selected Letters of Sinclair Lewis
(Madison, Wisconsin: Main Street Press, 1985).
- Other freelance articles have appeared in Twin
Cities Reader, Military History, America’s Civil War, Civil War Times
Illustrated, St. Paul Pioneer Press, City Pages, Washington Times, Historic
- Journalism Department Chair, Inver Hills Community
College, IGH, MN
Teach English and journalism
courses and advise schools arts magazine, September 1989 to present.
- Features Writer, Villager Communications Inc., St.
Write news and
feature stories for Villager and Avenues. August 1997 to present.
- Teacher, Mounds View School District, Mounds View,
in American literature, grammar, and writing. Advised school newspaper and
coached wrestling and Quiz Bowl teams. August 1981 to May 1991.
- Public Relations, Iowa Wesleyan College, Mount
recruiting programs. July 1980 to July 1981.
- Teacher, Maple Valley High School, Mapleton,
English and coached wrestling. August 1977 to June 1978.
- Master of Arts, Professional Writing Program,
University of Minnesota, 1989.
- Master of Arts in Public Affairs, University of Iowa,
- Bachelor of Arts in English with Distinction, Iowa
State University, 1977.
- Associate of Arts, North Iowa Area Community College,